Purpose and Scope
We respect your privacy. We want to inform you of the purposes for which we collect and use Personal Data, the types of Personal Data we collect, the types of third parties to which we may disclose your Personal Data and the purposes for doing so, the rights and choices you have for limiting the use and disclosure of your Personal Data, and how to contact us about our practices concerning Personal Data.
Inquiries or Concerns?
We are committed to resolving complaints about our collection and use of your Personal Data. Individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding this policy should first contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your request to access, update, or delete your information within ten (10) business days. Before we are able to provide you with any information, correct any inaccuracies, or delete any information, however, we may ask you to verify your identity.
Children Under the Age of 13
Our Content is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide Personal Data in our website. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under 13. If we change our practices in the future, we will obtain prior, verifiable parental consent before collecting any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. If we learn we have collected Personal Data from a child under 13 without parent consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
Personal Data Collection and Use
What is Personal Data?
Personal Data We Collect and How We Collect It
- by which you may be personally identified, such as your name, phone number, email address, mailing address, age, date of birth, financial account information (credit or debit card or bank routing information), Social Security Number or other government identifier, and social media connectors;
- that is about you but individually does not identify you, such as your location, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, referring URL, web pages visited, time spent on web pages, cookies, Flash cookies, pixel tags, and server logs; and
- about your internet connection (including your Internet Service Provider), the equipment you use to access our Content and usage details (including browser type, device identifier, operating system), and the actions you take on our Content (referring and exit page, timestamps, and clickstream data).
We also track and analyze non-identifying and aggregate usage and volume statistical information from our Site Visitors and Customers.
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
We collect this information:
- directly from you when you provide it to us, including when registering to use our Content, subscribing to our service, posting material to be displayed on public areas of our Content, corresponding with us, or requesting further services;
- automatically as you navigate over time and across our Content or other online services; and
- from third parties, for example, our business partners.
Our purposes in Collecting Personal Data
The Personal Data we collect is used and disclosed as is necessary to provide services to you and as reasonably required for our business purposes, including:
- To present our Content to you;
- To provide you with information or services that you request from us;
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it;
- To provide you with notices about your account, including expiration and renewal notices;
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection;
- To notify you about changes to our Content or any products or services we offer or provide though it;
- To offer you services and promotions you may be interested in;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Content;
- To resolve disputes with, troubleshoot problems, and enforce our membership agreements;
In any other way we may describe when you provide the information; and
For any other purpose with your consent.
Types of Third Parties That May Receive Your Personal Data
We may disclose Personal Data to the following types of third parties:
We share your name, address, telephone number, and other contact details with the member, if any, who referred you to our website. You have the ability to control referral sharing in your account privacy settings. For EU persons, referral sharing is turned off by default.
Successors and Affiliates
We may share Personal Data with our members of our corporate group and affiliates in order to work with them. For example, we may need to share Customer Information for customer relationship management purposes. We may also transfer Personal Data in the event of an audit or if we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganization, dissolution, or liquidation).
Partners and Affiliated Businesses Not Controlled by Us
We may partner with other companies to jointly offer products or services. If you purchase or specifically express interest in a jointly offered product or service from us, we may share Personal Data collected in connection with your purchase or expression of interest with our partners. We contractually require these third parties to keep Personal Data confidential and use if only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them. If you do not wish for your information to be shared in this manner, you may choose not to purchase or specifically express interest in a jointly offered product or service.
It may be necessary for us to disclose your Personal Data, either by law, legal process, litigation, or requests from public and governmental authorities. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate. We may also disclose Personal Data if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions or protect our operations or users. Other than as described above, we do not permit third parties to collect personally identifiable information about your online activities when you use our website and related services. We may disclose aggregated information about our users without restriction. Such information does not identify an individual person.
Rights and Choices
We offer Site Visitors and Customers who provide Personal Data the means to choose how we use the information we collect. To the extent required by applicable law, we obtain opt-in consent for certain uses and disclosures of Personal Data. You have a right to withdraw such consent at any time. We shall make reasonable efforts to accommodate individual privacy preferences.
To update your account information or discontinue your account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests to access, change, or delete your information will be handled within 30 days.
We do not respond to your browser’s “do not track” signals or other mechanisms for indicating your preference regarding the collection personally identifiable information
If you do not wish to have your information used to promote our own or third parties’ products or services, you can opt-out by checking the relevant box located on the form on which we collect your data. You can also always opt-out by sending us an email stating your request to email@example.com.
You may manage your receipt of marketing and non-transactional email communications by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link located on the bottom of such communication. Additionally, you may send a request specifying your communications preferences to firstname.lastname@example.org. Customers cannot opt out of receiving transactional emails related to their account or the Services.
We partner with third party services and advertising networks to manage our advertising on other sites. Such third parties may place cookies on your browser or device to gather information about your activities on ours and other sites that you visit in order to provide you with ads. We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve ads. However these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way.
Exceptions. We may disclose your Personal Data without offering an opportunity to opt out, when (i) we retain third-party processors to perform services on our behalf and pursuant to our instructions, (ii) required by law or legal process, or (iii) responding to lawful requests from public authorities, including to meet national security, public interest, or law enforcement requirements.
Persons located in the EU have specific rights granted to them under the General Data Protection Regulation and national implementing laws, regulations, and secondary legislation.
We limit the processing of Personal Data of persons in the EU (“EU Personal Data”) to that which is relevant for the purposes of the particular processing. We do not process EU Personal Data in ways that are inconsistent with the purposes for which the information was collected or subsequently authorized by you.
In addition, to the extent necessary for these purposes, we take reasonable steps to ensure that the EU Personal Data we process is reliable for its intended use, and accurate, complete and current. In this regard, we rely on you to update and correct EU Personal Data to the extent necessary for the purposes for which the information was collected or subsequently authorized. You may contact us at email@example.com to request that we update or correct relevant EU Personal Data.
Subject to applicable law, we retain EU Personal Data in a form that identifies or renders you identifiable only for as long as it serves a purpose that is compatible with the purposes for which it was collected or subsequently authorized by you.
Notice and Consent
If we decide to process EU Personal Data for purposes other than what is necessary to provide services to you or where we believe that your interests may override ours, persons in the EU will receive a notice detailing:
- the type of Personal Data to be processed;
- the purpose for the processing and a description of how the processing is based on legitimate interests;
- the categories of recipients of disclosures of the Personal Data;
- the period for which the Personal Data will be stored or the criteria for determining the period;
- how Customers and Site Visitors can exercise the rights of access, correction, erasure, objection, and the right to withdraw consent;
- the right to file a complaint with an EU Data Protection Authority;
- whether the Customer or Site Visitor is obliged to provide the data by statute, contract, or for another reason, and the possible consequences of failing to provide the data; and
- whether the Personal Data will be subject to automated processing and, if so, the logic and the consequences of the processing for the data subject.
Such notices will be clear, conspicuous, and readily available to affected EU Persons. A notice will require an unambiguous, affirmative, opt-in consent to the particular use or processing of the EU Personal Data.
Transfers of Personal Data
With respect to transfers of your Personal Data to third-party data processors, we will:
- enter into a contract with each relevant data processor;
- transfer Personal Data to each such data processor only for limited and specified purposes;
- ascertain that the data processor is obligated to provide the Personal Data with at least the same level of privacy protection as is required by applicable law;
- take reasonable and appropriate steps to ensure that the data processor effectively processes the Personal Data in a manner consistent with our obligations under applicable law;
- require the data processor to notify us if the data processor determines that it can no longer meet its obligation to provide the same level of protection as is required by our contract or applicable law; and
- upon notice, including under (5) above, take reasonable and appropriate steps to stop and remediate unauthorized processing of the Personal Data by the data processor.
You generally have the right to access your Personal Data. Accordingly, where appropriate, we provide you with reasonable access to the Personal Data we maintain about you. We also provide you a reasonable opportunity to correct, amend, or delete your information.
We may limit these opportunities where the burden or expense of honoring a request would be disproportionate to the risks to your privacy, or where the rights of persons other than you would be violated. Other reasons for denying requests or limiting access include (i) interference with the execution or enforcement of the law or with private causes of action, including the prevention, investigation, or detection of offenses; (ii) breaching a legal or other professional privilege or obligation; and (iii) prejudicing security investigations or grievance proceedings or in connection with succession planning and corporate re-organizations.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to your Personal Data. If access cannot be granted, we will respond with a reason for denying your request.
If a complaint regarding Personal Data cannot be resolved through our internal processes, we will cooperate with applicable data protection authorities to address a complaint and provide appropriate recourse.
Control and Security
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on our Content.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
We follow industry-standard practices to protect the data we collect and maintain, including Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance and guidelines for SSL/TLS encryption.
If a breach of Personal Data occurs, we will notify the relevant authorities within 72 hours, or as otherwise required by applicable law, subject to likelihood of risk to the Customer or Site Visitor. Affected Customers or Site Visitors will also be notified regarding the breach.
As required by applicable law, we will maintain relevant records of:
- the purposes of Personal Data processing;
- the categories of data subjects and of Personal Data processed;
- the categories of recipients, including those in third countries;
- the countries to which Personal Data will be transferred and the instrument used to provide an adequate level of protection;
- where possible, the envisaged retention periods for different categories of Personal Data; and
- a general description of the security measures used to protect Personal Data.
These records shall be provided to data protection authorities upon request.